9 Powerful Ways Cardio Boosts Your Energy and Fitness Gains
What is cardio?
Cardio, also called conditioning, aerobics, cardiorespiratory or cardiovascular exercise, can be any activity that raises your heart rate such as a run, brisk walk, swim, cross-country ski, dance, elliptical trainer, cycling, stationary bike, etc.
Why do cardio?
• improved sleep quality
• reduced stress levels
• healthy weight management
• increased stamina & energy
• boosted immune system
• reduced risk of heart disease, diabetes, stroke and cancer
• boosted HDL and lowers LDL
• boosted mood
• reduction in all-cause mortality (live longer!)
• Heart disease is the leading cause of death for men in the United States, killing 321,000 men in 2013—that’s 1 in every 4 male deaths.
• Aerobic activity is still the best way to combat heart disease. 
How to do cardio right.
• 5 X 30-minute moderate efforts a week at 40-60% HRR, or
• 3 X 25 minute vigorous efforts a week at 60-85% HRR.
• And you can break these up into 10-minute chunks!
• Don’t increase both intensity and duration in a single session.
• Increase duration before increasing intensity.
• If you can complete an exercise session at the upper level of frequency and duration for 2 weeks without signs of excessive fatigue, progress to the next level.
• use an HR monitor to monitor effort level.